Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

Toralf Lund toralf@procaptura.com
Fri Sep 2 18:04:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:04:01AM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>I've never really paid much attention to the Cygwin talk on this list
>>before, but now I'm involved in a project where it may be used...
>>
>>So, what is it all about? Where does cross-gcc come into the picture in
>>the context of Cygwin? Is any of you lot you for instance
>>cross-compiling Cygwin apps under Linux?
>>

>The intent of Cygwin is that you should be able to take linux source
>code and compile it with minimal changes.
>
>It is possible to create a linux -> mingw compiler, too.  MinGW binaries
>do not rely (by default) on any nonnative shared libraries (aka "DLLs")
>unlike Cygwin binaries which rely on cygwin1.dll. [ ... ]
>
>To answer your specific question, the Cygwin DLL and it's accompanying
>utilities are all built on linux with a cygwin cross environment.'

Ok. Thanks.

I'm still not sure I see the full picture, though. Does this mean that
actual cross build setup is readily available, and/or that it will be
simple to cross-compile additional windows binaries that rely on
cygwin1.dll, on a Linux host?

- Toralf