Purpose of GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME & GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME in crosstool

Anthony Wright anthony.wright@overnetdata.com
Fri Nov 11 18:24:00 GMT 2005

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Anthony Wright wrote:
>> Can anybody explain what the purpose of these two variables are in
>> the crosstool configuration files?
>>
>> As far as I can tell the only effect they have is to cause
>> "linuxthreads" & "crypt" to be added to GLIBC_ADDON_OPTIONS if they
>> are present, and their actual values have no effect.
>>
>> GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME is only set for glibc-2.1.3 builds, but
>> glibc-2.1.3 does not seem to reference the variable.
>>
>> GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME is set for all non-cygwin builds, but I can't
>> see any reference to it in the glibc's that I've looked at, and in
>> any case it always seems to mirror GLIBC_DIR (if GLIBC_DIR is
>> glibc-V.V.V, GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME is glibc-linuxthreads-V.V.V)
>
> $ grep GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME *
> getandpatch.sh:  test x$GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME = x ||
> getUnpackAndPatch
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/$GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/$GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME.tar.bz2

Oops - missed that - sorry....

I'm trying to understand what the config variables do, and how they're
tied together. Would I be right in thinking that for a given GLIBC_DIR
value (i.e. the glibc version), that GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME and
GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME will always be the same, or is it possible for a
glibc version to use one of a number of glibccrypt or linuxthreads
versions? In other words could I just set the GLIBC_DIR value, and a
script could automatically set the GLIBCCRYPT_FILENAME &
GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME?

Thanks,

Tony.