What all should I take care while compiling and running?

Chuck Meade chuckmeade@mindspring.com
Tue Nov 8 19:22:00 GMT 2005

> >>  Is the 'x' bit set?  Is there a problem with nfs user/group perms?
> >>
> >>    cheers,
> >>      DaveK
> >>

> >I recently saw a problem with the same behavior.  The issue is (likely) that
> >you are using a different compiler and glibc version for your app than the
> >rest of your target code was built with.
> >

> This is what is happening. It is glibc version only which causes these
> kind of problem
> if you link your program statically then it should work ok. Have you
> tried that?

I immediately suspected the tool version problem, and using a consistent
compiler & glibc fixed this for me.  So no, I did not go back and try to
link statically.  I believe that there are other things that could cause
this that a static link would not fix.  Couldn't this be a syscall numbering
issue, or a binary format issue?  Even statically linked, if his kernel
cannot understand the binary format, it will fail.  I don't know how consistent
syscall numbering is across major tool versions, but if those change, that
would cause havoc as well.

Question to the original poster -- what is the binary format of your a.out
file?  If it truly is in a.out format, then was your kernel configured to handle
the a.out binary format?  Use your cross binutils and objdump your a.out file.
Try to strace a.out on your target.

You may send me (if it is small, i.e. hello world) your a.out file and I'll
see if I can tell you anything about it.

Chuck