arm-elf vs arm-linux

Khem Raj kraj@mvista.com
Thu Nov 3 03:03:00 GMT 2005

Valentin Longchamp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a project where we are designing our open-hardware
> embedded board for robotics. It's for future academic projects, so we
> would like that every student and anyone can use the tools, that's why
> we make open-hardware and we want to use the GNU toolchain.
>
> Our target processor is going to be an ARM1136, so armv6. My question is
> about the two main target toolchains I could build : what is the
> difference between arm-elf and arm-linux.
arm-elf is a standalone toolchain which does not require an underlying
OS. So you can use
it to generate programs using newlib

arm-linux is a toolchain targetted to generate code for linux OS running
on an ARM machine

> Since we want to use RedBoot bootloader (and maybe want to use eCos as
> well), I know that they tell to use the arm-elf toolchain.
use arm-elf
> But we also want to use linux (we have some kernel patches for our
> processor and its dev board), they tell to use arm-linux.
use arm-linux

> What's the real difference between those two targets ? I know that of
> course arm-elf won't give support for glibc of course ! Because if they
> don't differ that much, it would be great not to have to build and use
> two different toolchains for when I want to build my bootloader or when
> I want to build my linux kernel or the application I would run on it !

unfortunately you have to use two toolchains because you have two
different operating environments.
So the system interfaces will be different therefore the toolchains have
to be different too.