Help regarding alpha cross compiler

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri May 20 06:41:00 GMT 2005

murli wrote:
> it is running OSF Unix OS.

Then crosstool will not help.  Sorry.  It doesn't
know anything about OSF/1.

> I am not sure if you have
> heard of this processor simulation tool called
> simplescalar, but it simulates alpha binaries. I want
> to see if I can use cross tools to generate alpha
> binaries for simulating on simplescalar. Can you give
> me any specific guidance in this regard? I think the
> link that you had pointed refers to alpha-linux. I am
> not 100% sure if that was what it specifically needed
> or am I wrong in guessing that?

Oh, so you're not really running OSF/1, and you don't
care about the C library.  In that case, um, maybe
you can use crosstool.  You may need to munge its
output files using objcopy, though, if Linux/Alpha
has a different object format than OSF/1 (which it probably does).

Wouldn't it be simpler to use the compiler the simplescalar people ship?
http://www.simplescalar.com/downloads/simpletools-2v0.tgz
http://www.simplescalar.com/downloads/simpleutils-2v0.tgz
Or maybe the newer ones from MIRV at
http://arch.cs.ucdavis.edu/RAD/gcc-2.7.2.3.ss.tar.gz