biarch crosstool? (was: (cross) compiler question)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu May 19 16:25:00 GMT 2005

Lothar Werzinger wrote:
> I have a question about compiling a gcc (cross) compiler.
>
> I have a build machine which is linux-x86-64. There i can create x68-64
> executables with -m64 and i686 executables with -m32.
>
> I want to build a (cross) compiler that is a i686 executable (so that I can
> run it on i686 machines as well as x86-64 machines. And it should be able to
> generate code for both architectures with -m32/-m64 as well, so the target
> would be x86-64 with multilib enabled. As both targets are full flesh linux
> systems I don't need a full cross environment with glibc/kernel. I only need
> the compiler. But I would also be interested how to create such a beast with
> crosstool, if I really want/have to :-)
>
> It would be nice if you can give me a hint how to accomplish that.

Crosstool doesn't yet support -m32/-m64; you would have to
generate two separate toolchains for that.  But check the recent archives,
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/
Somebody recently posted a link to a biarch build script.
(I just looked and couldn't find it, but then, I haven't
had my coffee yet this morning...)
- Dan