Building Kernel w/ crosstool

Royce Kemp rkemp@ip3.com
Sat May 14 00:52:00 GMT 2005

greetings,

embedded developer/crosstool newbie here who just successfully built a
toolchain. wow that was easy! thank you dan kegel!

now my next step is to build myself a kernel, but I was unclear how best to
proceed: do i want to build the kernel using the source that was untarred
into the build directory? or was that just to produce the kernel headers
for building the toolchain? and if that's the case, then I don't really
need to customize the .config file (i686.config in my case) as that was
just to run make config. right? i hope that's right b/c then applying
kernel patches (i.e. netfilters) can be deferred until after the toolchain
is built.

i really like crosstool's idea of decoupling the 'creation of toolchains'
from the 'usage of toolchains'. i had adopted the format used by Karim
Yaghmour in Building Embedded Linux Systems which seemed to couple the
embedded project with the toolchain itself. it was my desire to escape that
constraint which led me to Google, which led me to crosstool. :)