armv5b-softfloat with gcc-3.4.3 and glibc-2.3.3

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Mon Mar 28 13:54:00 GMT 2005

Vinay K Nallamothu wrote:
> Just wanted to share my experience building a big endian toolchain for
> IXP425 with crosstool-0.28-rc37.
>
> I used armv5b-softfloat-linux with the following configuration.
> ==================gcc-3.4.3-glibc-2.3.3.dat=========================
> BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2
> GCC_DIR=gcc-3.4.3
> GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.3.3
> LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.8
> GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.3
>
> Although the glibc built works well for applications on 2.6 arm kernels,
> I faced various issues on system with 2.4 kernels such zombie process,
> module loading problems.
>
> Apparently, this was due to some system calls removed during 2.6
> especially related to module loading.
>
> To overcome this problem, after some googling, instead of using the
> plain kernel-2.6.8 headers, I have replaced the kernel "include" folder
> with Mariusz Mazur's linux-libc-headers-2.6.8.1 ...
> and re-compiled. I have been using this toolchain compiling, 2.4 kernels
> and userland for about 3 weeks and have found no issues so far.
>
> From my experience, it seems better to use linux-libc-headers than using
> headers from kernel sources.

Thanks for the info!
I'd like to check one thing about how glibc and Mazur's sanitized
headers interact.  Can you compile the following program and
tell me what it prints on a system whose glibc was compiled
as you describe?

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/user.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
         printf("PAGE_SIZE = %d\n", PAGE_SIZE);
         printf("sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE) = %d\n", sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE));
}

Thanks,
Dan