CT 0.29 - stuck compiling gcc 4.0 glibc 2.2.5 ppc405: execvp: /bin/sh: Resource temporarily unavailable

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin@egholm-nielsen.dk
Fri Mar 25 18:21:00 GMT 2005

>> msdn says in
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/createprocess.asp
>>
>> lpCommandLine
>>     [in, out] Pointer to a null-terminated string that specifies the
>> command line to execute.
>>         The maximum length of this string is 32K characters.
>>
>> So it appears to be a Windows limitation, not a Cygwin one.
>>
>> You have a couple options, in increasing order of difficulty:
>>
>> 1) switch to linux or some other real OS, like mac os x (putty is your
>> friend, you can keep
>> your windows workstation, just remote log in to the other box)
That's the final solution - I'd rather stay in my primary (work) O$...
It's such a work transporting source-files and binary files back and
forth... (Let's not dig into this thread :o))

>> 2) cross-compile the cygwin toolchain from linux
Now, that would be cool - how in the world is that possible?

>> 3) patch gcc's build to use shorter commandlines
>> 4) patch cygwin to bypass the windows commandline mechanism
Naah! :-)

> I forgot the easiest option: use a shorter path, maybe?
> That long commandline is full of options like this:
> -B/cygdrive/c/DATA/crosstool-0.29/build/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/gcc-4.0-20050305-glibc-2.2.5/build-gcc/gcc
> So maybe if you unpack crosstool in /x instead of
> /cygdrive/c/DATA/crosstool-0.29,
> the commandline would be short enough to get you by.
> It's worth a shot, anyway.
I'll do that if the "other" solution does not work... That was actually
a good idea...

Thanks for all the solutions, Dan and Christopher...

// Martin