crosstool-0.29 ("Pigs *do* Fly!) released

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Mar 23 00:49:00 GMT 2005

Time to try gcc-4.0!  (uh, except on sh3 and sh4, I guess.)

Several architectures fail with errors like
dl-machine.h:418: error: invalid storage class for function 'elf_machine_rela'
The fix for this is easy; see e.g.
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.29/patches/glibc-2.3-20050307/glibc-2.3.4-allow-gcc-4.0-powerpc64.patch
Anyone who wants to fix these up, please do, and post the
patches to the crossgcc list so I can include them in the next release.

Home page:
http://kegel.com/crosstool/
Quick download:
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.29.tar.gz
Build results matrix:
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.29/buildlogs/

0.29:
     numbering change:
     0.28 was getting too long in the tooth, so I gave up on the 0.28-rc* names,
     and am back to just major.minor.

     gcc-4.0:
     * getandpatch.sh can now download gcc-4.0 snapshots
     * glibc-2.2.5, glibc-2.3.4, glibc-2.3-20050307 patched to build with
       gcc-4.0-20050305
     * glibc-2.3.[34], glibc-2.3-20050307 patched to allow building and
       installing libs and apps separately, and crosstool.sh now builds apps
       again with final gcc for glibc-2.3.4 and later.

     Cygwin build support:
     * tweak to crosstool.sh by Steve Papacharalambous; no longer aborts
       just because compilers that run on cygwin have names *.exe

     Self-test:
     * replaced demo-loop.sh with regtest-{run.report,kill}.sh.
       This lets me generate build result matrices much faster.

     Linux version:
     * gcc-*-glibc-*.dat files now default to using linux-2.4.26 for all older
       versions of gcc, linux-2.6.8 for gcc-3.4.x.  There's no good
       way to pick a default, but this one probably causes fewer problems.
       (but see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-12/msg00135.html,
       I'll probably need to use linux-2.4.21 for some targets).
       Note that users can easily specify the kernel version themselves,
       so the value in the .dat files isn't supremely important...