CT: Any obstacles for using gcc 4.0 snapshots?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday@mindspring.com
Mon Mar 7 15:15:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> > > Scanning the latest CT (rc37) getandpatch.sh I noticed that you don't
> > > support fetching snapshots from the 4.0 snapshots:
> > Right, I've been MIA.  But I hope to try 4.0 soon.
>
> > > Is there anything hindering this?
> > Not that I know.
> >
> > > Do you reckon I could make a gcc-4.0-20050305-glibc-2.2.5.dat for PPC405
> > > without any complications?
> > Heh. Try it and see.  Send a patch with the download fix and
> > anything else you find.
> I applied the patch that you submitted, and got to fetch and started
> compiling.
> However, it died compiling glibc-2.2.5 with the following fault:
>
> === 8< 8< 8< ===
> checking for powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc... powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc
> checking version of powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc ... 4.0.0, bad
> checking for gnumake... no
> checking for gmake... no
> checking for make... make
> checking version of make... 3.80, ok
> configure: error:
> *** These critical programs are missing or too old:gcc
>
> Is this doomed?

i don't think so.  from memory, you get this error with gcc 4.0
because of the way checking is done.  i really will have to go back
and see what i did to build a toolchain with a gcc-4.0 source.

rday