CTs or Cygwins 'fault': fork: can't reserve memory for stack...

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin@egholm-nielsen.dk
Wed Mar 2 14:39:00 GMT 2005

>> I'm trying to link a huge bunch of crosscompiled .o files into a
>> main-file. However, I (suddenly) get the following fault message from
>> collect2.exe:
>>
>> C:\cygwin\opt\crosstool\powerpc-405-linux-gnu\gcc-3.4.0-glibc-2.2.5\libexec\gcc\powerpc-405-linux-gnu\3.4.0\collect2.exe
>> (1740): *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x40000 - 0x240000,
>> Win32 error 487
>>
>> I was wondering if this was a Cygwin error or Crosstool issue?

> I did not find a fix for that.  It only happened when
> running lots of programs in parallel.  You should probably
> take this problem to the cygwin mailing list.  It would
> help if you could put together a minimal test case
> (i.e. a shell script that reproduces the problem
> with toy sources).

Btw.: Andrew Haley (from RedHat) comments on my question on the GCJ IRC
channel:

aph: There's some magic in Win32 to extend the size of a stack segment
aph: I can't remember the command
egholm: but you're right, the problem has first entered after adding
some more .o files
aph: we had to do it with Win gcc cross compilers

Hence, it seems that there is some solution somewhere out there (unless
he remembers wrong ["aph: I have garbage collected knowledge of unfree
OSs from my mind"])...

// Martin