Trouble with final canadian gcc

krallekit krallekit@gmx.net
Mon Jun 20 19:24:00 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Kegel" <dank@kegel.com>
To: <KRALLEKIT@gmx.net>
Cc: <crossgcc@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: Trouble with final canadian gcc

> KRALLEKIT@gmx.net wrote:
> > So i tried out to do a canadian cross.
> > Lot's of attempts make me not so happy, because i find no way to get it
> > working correct. I had build complete binutils and a full gcc with
> > languages=c,c++ for my machine (target dream). I can compile now simple
> > programms like "Hello world" on target but executables so big like the
> > libc.a. I think there are a problem with the final linker.
> > First i started my compiling test i got error messages like cannot find
> > crti.o
>
> Did you edit the spec file of the final compiler so it
> would look in /lib and /usr/lib, according to
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-06/msg00161.html
> ?
>
> > Many instructions i founded in www. My favorit was instruction by Dan's
> > crosstool, but i'm confused a little because i slowly lose the view. I
know
> > THINK!!!, but thinking is not a knowledge.
> > I expect none step by step instructions, but what do i need to build the
> > final compiler.
>
> Did you see my (almost) step-by-step instructions for building a canadian
cross?
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstool-howto.html#canadian
> - Dan
> p.s. You're clearly reading scripts carefully, not many people notice the
THINK! comment!

> --
> Trying to get a job as a c++ developer?  See
http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html

Sorry for my late answer, i tried and tried and tried out.

Yes i did > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-06/msg00161.html
with the same result, crt1.o and the libc.a are needed when compile stuff on
target.
I think i have to building full working libc-2.3.2 for my target compiler,
because the crtx.o stuff isn`t present on target. The small libary on there
seems not to be supporting the final gcc. I don`t know how i do it again? I
tried out lot of things with the same result. Building glibc is a hard stuff
to find out with patches are right for me. In fact building glibc without a
patch will stopped with an error.

A few things not exactly clear for me.

When i build the final gcc
with --build=i686-linux-gnu --host=powerpc-tuxbox-linux-gnu --target=powerpc
-tuxbox-linux-gnu
in crosstool.sh the instruction told me use with-headers=$HEADERDIR
But it did not working because i got an error in building process "use
without-headers because ......not crosscompile" . Mhh....maybe because
HOST=TARGET.
Do i need use "with-headers" in this example?

I have read ever and ever crosstool.sh, all.sh and democanadian.sh. In a few
lines of scripts i can not really find distinction between cross compiler
stuff and canadian stuff .

My question: Do i need take the same steps for final target gcc like the way
i do it with crossgcc?
Target=Host, therefore i believe i only have to do "build-binutils" and
"build-final-gcc". I think i don`t need bootstrap and another stuff because
my perfect running host compiler with environment (that meant: lib's for
target too) that build stuff for target is present on build machine.
Maybe anyone tried it out and can give me a tip witch steps are really
important.

Thx a lot
@Dan, maybe your democanadian.sh will change to canadian.sh in future. That
will give me the last instruction to building my final gcc, i'm sure ;)