problems building crosstool on gcc4 system (was: Re: x86_64 toolchain)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Jun 15 16:04:00 GMT 2005

Matteo Croce wrote:
> Hi,
> i have used crosstools to build arm and mips toolchains since many time,
> and thanks for the wonderful program.
> But today croostools fails to build an x86_64 toolchain (i386 host with gcc4).
> I have noticed that gas doesn't compile with gcc4, so i edited the .dat file
> to let crosstools download latest binutils (2.16.1).
> It builds fine now so i suggest you to update teh gcc-4-xxx.dat file to use binutils 2.16.1.

That's interesting.
What's the default compiler on your workstation?
What distro are you using?

I should test on an fc4 system (where the default
toolchain is gcc4) to catch gcc4 problems, now
that it's out.

> After i build a toolchain, i noticed that your script configures gcc and glibc to don't
> use threads.

You must be mistaken?  The script builds glibc with linuxthreads.
I've been building multithreaded programs happily
on x86_64 for some time with this.
- Dan