Building toolchain with Cirrus Logic MaverickCrunch support

Grant Likely glikely@gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 23:09:00 GMT 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:40:06 -0800, Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> wrote:
> Grant Likely wrote:
> > I noticed in the GCC 3.4 release notes that gcc now support the
> > MaverickCrunch engine on the Cirrus Logic EP93XX ARM920T devices.  It
> > also says that multilib support can be enabled for this part by
> > editing "gcc/config/arm/t-arm-elf".
> >
> > However, I understand that crosstool disables multilib so if I want to
> > use the MaverickCrunch support in libgcc then I need to build a new
> > crosstool target.
> >
> > I decided to use demo-arm9tdmi.sh and arm9tdmi.dat as a starting point
> > for the EP9312 build so I copied them to demo-arm-ep9312.sh and
> > arm-ep9312.dat.  (I've attached the patch)
> >
> > The toolchain compiled, and it appears to be building code with crunch
> > instructions; could somebody please take a look at what I've done and
> > let me know if I'm doing things right?
>
> Looks reasonable to me (though you can delete the lines from demo-arm-ep9312.sh
> for gccs older than 3.4).  Now the question is, do the programs it
> generates run on an ep9312 system?  Anyone have one to test on?
> - Dan

I've now gotten a Linux kernel w/ crunch support to run on my eval
board so I've been able to confirm that the arm-ep9312-linux-gnu
toolchain does generate runnable code.  A simple test of floating
point instructions confirms that the crunch engine is getting used (as
much as a 30x speedup over arm-9tdmi toolchain compiled version).

Unfortunatly not all applications work correctly.  ubench compiled
with crunch support segfaults immediately.  Looking at the cirrus
errata there are quite a few issues with the crunch engine in current
silicon.  I don't know if those issues are addressed in gcc 3.4.2.

I've attached my test program.

Cheers,
g.