cross libstdc++-v3 configuration

Steven J. Magnani steve@digidescorp.com
Thu Feb 17 10:24:00 GMT 2005

Hi Matthew,

I believe the trick Dan & Bill came up with to force a cross-compile was
to fudge the --host argument so that it never matches anything else:

# Modify GCC_HOST to never be equal to $BUILD or $TARGET
# This strange operation causes gcc to always generate a cross-compiler
# even if the build machine is the same kind as the host.
# This is why CC has to be set when doing a canadian cross;
# you can't find a host compiler by appending -gcc to our whacky
$GCC_HOST
GCC_HOST=`echo $GCC_HOST | sed s/-/-host_/`

Regards,
Steve
www.digidescorp.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Jones [mailto:matthewjones@vw1600e.org.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 4:13 AM
To: libstdc++ list; crossgcc list
Subject: cross libstdc++-v3 configuration

Hello,

I'm trying to build libstdc++-v3 for a cross development system. Host is
i686-pc-cygwin, target system is powerpc-ibm-eabi. I started out using
crosstool, but this failed in libstdc++-v3 with "No support for this
host/target combination."

So now I'm building it by hand, and it seems that no matter which
configuration I try, it always picks up /usr/bin/gcc and determines
"checking whether we are cross compiling... no". I have tried various
combinations of --host, --build and --target. Even after reading
libstdc++-v3/configure --help, it is not clear to me what I need to set.

I am using freshly opened cygwin DOS boxes, so I'm probably not
preserving any environment that crosstool may have set up.

Please could someone explain what I need to do to force it to cross
compile ? Do I need to set a load of environment variables before I run
configure?

Thanks,

--
Matthew JONES