crosstool for native compiler on new system.

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Feb 2 16:45:00 GMT 2005

Clemens Koller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well, some days ago, I was successfully running crossgcc on MPC8540
> (e500, SPE) (no changes were necessary within crosstool, to answer your
> last question, Steve.)
>
> Now I want to use or re-use the binaries for a new Linux From Scratch
> root on a harddisk in i.e. /mnt.
>
> So, my question is: what things do I need to take care about to get
> my new compiler+binutils+? as my (one and only) native compiler in
> /usr/bin on the host system as well as in the new root of /mnt/usr/bin.
> Is it okay to set the TARGET_DIR to put the compiler to i.e.
> /mnt/usr/bin (which might be dangerous)?
>
> It is possible to relocate the whole (crossgcc-) build, copy the
> libs, edit the specs file and move (or put symlinks)
> powerpc-linux-gnuspe-* to /usr/bin/*
> (I would prefer not to use any powerpc-linux-sth-prefixes anymore).

For recent (gcc-3.2 or later) compilers, it should be ok
to move after building (there is a slight risk of the
original paths being referenced, but in practice this seems
to not matter).

See http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/doc/crosstool-howto.html#canadian
(including the note at the bottom of that paragraph) for
more about cross-building compilers (i.e. "canadian cross compilers").
See also demo-canadian.sh in the crosstool directory.

I haven't checked out Steven Magnani's work yet, so I can't comment on it,
but it's nice to see somebody else trying to make canadian crosses easier.
- Dan