looking for toolchain (and more) for TS-7250 ARM SBC

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh@wantstofly.org
Sat Dec 24 15:07:00 GMT 2005

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 08:04:02AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   (i won't drag this out on this mailing list too much longer as much
> of it isn't CT-related, so i'll restrict my discussion to the CT
> issues, and we can find a better forum for the ARM-related stuff if
> someone wants to suggest one.)

linux-arm-kernel, as someone suggested, would be the best place, IMHO.

>   starting with a stock crosstool-0.38, which script would represent
> the build for this board?

"sh demo-arm.sh" should just work.

> arm-ctl_bus_isa.patch

This is apparently ARM-specific but I don't think I ever needed it.

> glibc-fp-byteorder.patch

This one is only relevant for big-endian ARM systems.

I don't think any of the other patches are relevant in your case.

>   anyway, not being an ARM wizard, i'm just looking for the *exact*
> incantation to build the toolchain for that board with crosstool-0.38,
> and i can extend that to pick up the newer stuff for which i already
> have patches.

demo-arm.sh produces a toolchain that supports most (if not all) ARMs
out there, including ARMv4, ARMv5, big-endian, little-endian, you name
it.

demo-armeb.sh produces the same toolchain but makes big-endian the
default, so that you don't have to specify it by hand with -EB for
everything you compile.

There's also some other demo-arm* scripts, one of which that makes
softfloat the default, but that's not relevant in your case since
you're trying to build the kernel, which doesn't use floating point
at all.

When compiling linux, the build system will see that (for example) if
it's building for an ARMv5 CPU, it'll pass something like -march=armv5
automatically.  In general, 'one toolchain fits all (ARMs).'

>   and once that's done, i can try to cross-compile the latest 2.6
> kernel.  obviously, this kernel won't be appropriate for that board, i
> just want to see if the cross-compile succeeds, that's all.

ARM kernels are very much CPU-specific (and board-specific too) -- the
latest 2.6 kernel comes in 40+ different flavors and colors.  See for
example:

	http://armlinux.simtec.co.uk/kautobuild/2.6.15-rc6-git4/index.html

cheers,
Lennert