Cygwin and crosstool! (vmlinux.lds.asm problem with 2.6.12.5 case-insensitive build patch from crosstool)

Christopher Faylor me@cgf.cx
Sat Aug 27 01:35:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 05:45:08PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote:
>>No idea, but I'm sufficiently off-put by those mangled names that I
>>don't like it!
>
>Aha.  Then please don't argue that there is any overhead.  Your real
>objection, the mangled names, is weakened if you tie it to unproven and
>possibly false statements.

Heh.  Zing.

As has been shown -- using the posix semantics file flag is not a new
idea.  We're not apt to accept a patch since we're slowly headed towards
using nt-specific api for handling files on NT/2000/XP and they can deal
with mixed case.

And, of course using this flag is going to result in some extra overhead
as well, since cygwin would have to recognize it and propgate it around
for every function which manipulates files.  Since I wouldn't have
invented the use of the flag, I'd probably start complaining about that.  :-)

I would definitely complain about creating files that can't be deleted
by normal windows utilities, as has also been mentioned.  We already
suffered a bout of that when we switched to using NtCreateFile a while
ago and accidentally allowed the creation of "special" files like "nul"
and "com1" on NTFS disks.  It surely confused users.  That would be
ameliorated by making it a specific mount option but I'm sure we'd
still get complaints.

Oh, and maybe I missed this but, while I'm at it, someone should also
mention that they don't like managed mode because it's easier to run
into Windows file name length limit.  That has been mentioned enough
that I've asked to make it a FAQ.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com