crosstool and cygwin

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Aug 24 04:08:00 GMT 2005

Tobias Polzin wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> thanks for crosstools!!!
>
> I build some cygwin->linux crosscompiler for use with distcc. I have the
> feeling that using crosstools is a little bit breaking a fly on the
> wheel

:-)  Zu englisch kann man auch "overkill" oder "killing a fly with a bazooka" sagen

>, as I only need g++,as,cc1plus and some .o files, but crosstools
> has the advantage that it works!
>
> I had some minor problems, perhaps you want to include them in your
> HOWTO document...
>
> 1. As LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not allowed for glibc, it would be good to
> check for it right in the beginning.

I do check for it right at the beginning of crosstool.sh.
Checking for it at the beginning of all.sh might be nice,
but would be duplicated code.  I figure it's early enough as it is...

> 2. Using CDPATH breaks masq.sh, as "cd bin; find . ...." reports the
> directory then. A "unset CDPATH" helps.

Thanks!

> 3. crosstool.sh has a line
>           rm -f $CORE_PREFIX/$TARGET/bin/$tool || true
> Probably because of cygwin´s ".exe" it worked for me just after modifing
> to:
>           rm -f $CORE_PREFIX/$TARGET/bin/$tool* || true

OK, thanks!

> 4. You could mention in the HOWTO in the section on Cygwin, that the
> crosstool directory has to be mounted in "binmode" not in "textmode". I
> ran into strange problems with the "textmode" and felt really stupid
> afterwards. :-)

Ahhh, serves you right for using textmode :-)  OK, I'll document it
better.  (Actually, 'managed' mode is best, especially if you
want to build the linux kernel.)

> 5. As cygwin can incooperate the windows path and this can be cause
> confusion. It´s best to run "export PATH=/bin" before starting the build.

What confusion did you run into there?

Thanks for the detailed problem report!
- Dan