Cross Compiler question (the essence of a Canadian Cross Compiler)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu Aug 4 00:12:00 GMT 2005

J. Robert Wyatt wrote:
> I'd like to build a gcc compiler on a i686 system for ARMv5b that runs on
> the ARMv5b. I've got the corsstool-0.37 to build the armv5b compiler that
> runs on i686, but the next step is to use that compiler to build a compiler
> that can run natively on the ARM platform (Linux 2.4.21 if that is of
> interest). This last step is confusing since I don't see the three step
> requirement.
>
> Basically, the --build is the i686 system and the --host and --target are
> one in the same ... want a compiler that runs on ARM to generate for ARM. Is
> this essentially a Canadian Cross compiler? If so, do I really have to build
> three compilers, when the first two are really the same?

You're not really building a canadian cross,
since your host and target are the same.
(Canada had three political parties, I think, is where the name came from.)
So you can get away with building just two compilers.