Failed solaris 9 libstdc++ cross compile...

Aaron Gaudio agaudio@eng.mc.xerox.com
Fri Apr 22 18:49:00 GMT 2005

I'm trying to build a Solaris 9 cross compiler now, and having trouble
with libstdc++. It seems that even though the configure script for the
library detects that Solaris 9 headers do not support certain C99
functions (specifically, strtof() and strtold()), the resultant config.h
defines HAVE_STRTOF and HAVE_STRTOLD, which ends up causing compilation
failure when these function are not found.

Looking through the configure script for libstdc++, on line 78110, it
seems to be hard-coded to enable strtof and strtold for solaris 7, 8, 9
and 10 (2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, respectively), even though, as far as I can
tell, C99 support is not provided until 2.10.

I saw in the script some rationale for having to hard-code values of
these macros for cross-compiling (indeed, building a non-cross gcc for
Solaris 2.8 correctly identifies these functions as *not* available).
But, the configure tests for C99 support seem to be using the target
system headers to test that, so why do those values need to be hard-
coded? Is there any reason those macros shouldn't be dependent on the
'ac_c99_stdlib' variable?

Can attach config.log and copious configure output (created by adding -x
to the makefile execution of configure) upon request.

--
Aaron Gaudio           agaudio @ eng.mc.xerox.com           585-422-6876
               madcap @ irc://rockhopper.eng.mc.xerox.com