infinite loop in configure for glibc-2.2.[23]

Daniel Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue Apr 19 16:58:00 GMT 2005

The configure script for glibc-2.2.[23] seems to get stuck
if it doesn't recognize the architecture.  Here's
what I wrote a year and a half ago:

      Tried gcc3.3.1-glibc2.2.2 with sh4, but it turns out glibc-2.2.2 doesn't
      support sh4, and its configure script gets stuck in an infinite loop on
      "checking sysdep dirs..." :-)

and sure enough, I ran into that again today on several
glibc-2.2.[23] builds for armeb, powerpc-970, sh3, and sh4.

I oughtta fix that, it's a bit annoying... configure should
just terminate when it says

"checking host system type... Invalid configuration `powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `powerpc64-unknown' not recognized"

and not even get to the next and final line,

"checking sysdep dirs..."

- Dan