Crosstool: FTP access to GNU no longer valid

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin@egholm-nielsen.dk
Wed Apr 13 18:28:00 GMT 2005

>> I tried out your crosstool script for the first time today and
>> discovered that FTP access to GNU no longer works. When I try to visit
>> ftp://ftp.gnu.org, I get "Invalid response from FTP server: (null)".
>> I'm not sure if this is a transient problem or not, but I do know that
>> http://ftp.gnu.org works, and by doing a global search and replace of
>> the former with the latter for all crosstool files, I got the script
>> to run. You might want to consider making this change for the next
>> release of crosstool.
> I had another workaround (fall back to ftp://gcc.gnu.org), but thanks
> for the tip!
> (I still suspect server overload or misconfiguration,
> and I think ftp access to ftp.gnu.org ought to work again
> once they address that.
>
> Gee, I hope crosstool isn't the *reason* for the overload...
I would think it is rather the new GCC 4.0 RC1. I guess many has been
waiting for that...
But who knows... Have you any idea how many crosstool.tgz's are being
downloaded?

// Martin