making progress with building SH3 toolchain

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Mon Apr 4 16:23:00 GMT 2005

Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>  with a CVS-based glibc-20050402, i'm getting a familiar "-lgcc_eh"
>>error whose patch history in patching Makeconfig is:
>

>> * it's patched in glibc-2.3.3
>> * it's not patched in glibc-2.3.4
>> * it's patched in glibc-20040827
>
> You might want to look at this thread:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2003-09/msg00101.html
>
> Even among glibc developers, the proper solution isn't completely
> clear. :)
>
> In my builds, I simply delete all references to libgcc_eh, and it
> never causes any problems.  YMMV...

It's required for NPTL, I think, but it only comes into
play when building binaries, not libraries.  My current
patch (the one I pointed to earlier in the thread)
solves this by letting crosstool avoid building
binaries when building the bootstrap glibc.
It then goes back and builds binaries after everything
else is built.
This makes the linuxthreads build look more like the nptl
build without any nasty tricks and without much extra work,
I think.
- Dan