request: please update crosstool documentation/comments so thatone knows how to generate a statically-liked cross compiler

Arno Schuring aelschuring@hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 09:40:00 GMT 2004

Hi Ken!

>request: please update crosstool documentation/comments so that one
>knows how to generate a statically-liked cross compiler...
>
>I used to know how to do this, I'm searching through the crossgcc
>mailing list archives to find the answer...how to generate a
>statically-linked cross compiler using crosstool?

>From memory:

for binutils, use
  make configure-host ; make LDFLAGS="-all-static"
instead of
  make

for gcc, use
  make LDFLAGS="-static"
for building one-pass, or
  make BOOT_LDFLAGS="-static" bootstrap
for bootstrapping

This will just build the toolchain static, but will allow you to build
dynamically linked executables. If you don't want/need that, you should pass
--disable-shared to all configure scripts.

You probably don't need to build the intermediate gcc static.

I haven't checked this, just hope I remember correctly ;)
Anyone feel free to correct me.

HTH,
Arno

Information without knowledge is noise
knowledge without wisdom is dangerous stupidity