Problems in building xscale big endian toolchain

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh@wantstofly.org
Wed Sep 22 16:27:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:17:29AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:

> >I?ve tried your great croostool. It works fine in most cases.
> >But as I tried to build a big endian toolchain for Intel XScale IXP425 with
> >crosstool-0.28-rc36 and demo-arm-xscale.sh (eval `cat arm-xscale.dat
> >gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3.dat` sh all.sh --notest) i got a ARM little endian
> >toolchain. I thought XScale is big endian in each case ??
> >I saw that the configuration above applied the
> >gcc-3.4.1/gcc-3.4.0-arm-bigendian.patch to gcc which is intend for set big
> >endian as default ??
>
> Only if the target name matches arm*b*.
> If xscale is indeed always big-endian,

No.  xscale supports both big and little endian.  As an example, on
this board you can switch between big and little endian with a jumper:

	http://www.adiengineering.com/productsBRH.html

The debian ARM port is little endian, and most ARMs are run in little
endian mode, but the Intel IXP* network processors are mostly (always?)
run in big endian mode.

--L