Where does crosstool get its "kernel" includes?

Marius Groeger mgroeger@sysgo.com
Wed Sep 15 13:14:00 GMT 2004

Thanks guys.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Daniel Kegel wrote:

> /usr/include/linux/list.h:682:2: #warning "don't include kernel headers in
> userspace"

Well, this application evidently throws __KERNEL__, so my fix would
be somewhere in the application, not the headers.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Alex Bennee wrote:

>>  I do recall certain peculiarities
>> with very low level tools, but nothing ever made me even remotely
>> consider using modified kernel headers. I would like to make sure
>> nothing slipped my attention.
>
> Are you submitting patches to the mainline to make the headers user
> space clean?

Same as above: I consider the kernel headers as reference. Problems in
the application should be fixed there. I do remember running into
applications that used kernel space data types. In those cases I
usually make the app use the corresponding POSIX types.

Eventually it seems to be a matter of taste where to make the fix.

The dedicated user api/abi headers that are in the works are
definately the best solution.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software