crosstool OS X -> x86 woes

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Sep 3 01:10:00 GMT 2004

Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> I'm trying to build a compiler I can run on my OS X machine that builds
> Linux-x86 binaries.  I don't care which version of gcc, glibc, etc. I
> end up with, I just want anything that works.
>
> I've tried the following targets from demo-i686.sh:
>     i686.dat gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3.dat
>     i686.dat gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.2.2.dat

Which version of crosstool?  0.28-rc35 is the latest, and you
probably shouldn't use anything older.

> And I hit the following problems:
>
> 1. wget just doesn't work for ftp on my machine.  I don't know why not.
>  curl works.

Did you read http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc35/doc/crosstool-howto.html#mac ?

Where did you get your wget?  The one from fink seemed to work for me.

> 2. The configure scripts just don't work well.  For example, they try to
> test for the version of "as" by running "as --version", which a) doesn't
> work and b) blocks waiting for input.  Ditto for sed.  Worse, there
> seems to be no way to get OS X sed to print its version!

Now I know you didn't read http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc35/doc/crosstool-howto.html#mac
as it tells you explicitly you need gnu sed.

> 3. Having fixed the above problems I got an error "GLIBC must be built
> with GNU CC".  This despite the fact that the compiler in question was
> the gcc compiler I just built!

If updating to the latest crosstool and installing the recommended gnu tools
doesn't fix this for you, we'll deal with this last problem.

> At this point I gave up.  Has anybody had success building such a
> cross-compiler?

Yes, but I haven't tried lately.
- Dan

--