Repost: since when is gcc-2.96 insufficient to build gcc?

Peter Barada peter@the-baradas.com
Thu Oct 28 22:18:00 GMT 2004

>>> I want to use crosstool to build gcc-3.3.3 on a system that only
>>> has gcc-2.96.  Is this impossible?
>
>Daniel> Yup.  Just build a little local copy of a newish gcc
>Daniel> (gcc-3.2.3 should do?) before running crosstool.  No big deal.
>
>But I don't have control over my customer's system and I want to give
>him a package that builds using crosstool.  Scripting up a gcc build
>is a pain in the butt, so I was wondering if gcc-3.3.3 actually
>requires it.  Seems dumb that 2.96 wouldn't work --- gcc's first stage
>compile works on just about any system with a compiler.

Then build a patch to crosstool that builds a host gcc-3.2.3 compiler
and uses *that* to build the cross toollchain.

I'm sure Dan and others would appreciate it.

--
Peter Barada
peter@the-baradas.com