pxa255 toolchain

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu Nov 18 18:00:00 GMT 2004

Bernd Feldmeier wrote:
> can you tell me what TARGET I have to choose for
> a xscale pxa255?

arm-*-linux-gnu, I think, but then to make the toolchain
really specific to the pxa255, you might need to pass
--with-cpu=XXXX --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=XXXX
when configuring gcc, and CFLAGS="-mcpu=XXXX" when
building glibc.  I don't know what value to use
for XXXX.  I'm cc'ing this to crossgcc, let's see if someone chimes in...

> Well, your crosstool is very nice but your predefined arm
> targets confuse me a little.
>
> You have an "arm-xscale.dat" file but I think
> that is wrong for me, because the pxa has no ftp.
>
> so do I have to add a softfloat parameter?

Usually the Linux kernel for arm systems has floating point
emulation in software, and standard ARM calling convention
is to rely on that.  Thus you shouldn't use softfloat
when building gcc or glibc unless you really need the
performance, know what you're doing, and don't mind some
incompatibilities.

> Maybe you cold send me a correct .dat file for the pxa255???

Perhaps someone who uses the pxa255 would like to contribute one?
My guess would be

KERNELCONFIG=`pwd`/arm.config
TARGET=arm-pxa255-linux-gnu
TARGET_CFLAGS="-O -mcpu=XXXX"
GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=XXXX --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=XXXX"

but like I said, I don't know what to use for XXXX.

> BTW: how do I create a toolchain for BIG Endian?
> ( is armv5*b*   -- the "b" for big ??)

Yes, b is for big endian.  See armeb.dat, which uses
TARGET=armeb-*-linux-gnu.  The TARGET setting does it,
I think.

> (is the arm.config file ok for this toolchain or
> do I have to use an other kernel config file??)

I don't know.  I am not an ARM expert.
- Dan