Any Hints tips and tricks for cross-gcc developers?

Tim O'Callaghan timo@dspsrv.com
Thu Nov 18 11:17:00 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I can tell you this list took some finding, most of the links and email
addresses from the FAQ were not working... I've been lurking here for a
bit, but now its time to step forward and ask for some help.

I'm planning on writing a TI C54x back end for gcc, and I'd like to
avoid as many of the pitfalls as i can.

I've done all of my research, gathered together all of the materials i
need, now I'm going to get properly stuck in.

ok, to  a list of questions.
1. Maintaining a patch tree.
To start off with I'll be working against one of the stable gcc trees.
There is a sourceforge CVS repository waiting for whatever work i do. My
question is, what's the best way to keep my work? should i CVS the whole
tree? or should i update and CVS a separate patch directory somewhere?

2. Other tools.
any other recent tools not mentioned in the FAQ that may be handy? like
scripts to automate question 1?

3. Pitfalls.
Ok, the FAQ covers some of these, but if anyone has experience with
working with Cxxx targets and has any tips that i might find handy.

ta,

Tim.