glibc 2.3.3 target:arm-linux host:cygwin elf-init.c linker error

Jean Olivier Caron jecar@mlab.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Nov 11 05:52:00 GMT 2004

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Jean Olivier Caron wrote:
>
>> target  = arm-linux -> aiming at development on the IPAQh5450
>> host = cygwin version
>> $ uname -rv
>> 1.5.10(0.116/4/2) 2004-05-25 22:07
>> kernel headers = 2.4.19-rmk6-pxa1-hh36
>>
>> After many trials with different combinations of binutils/glibc/gcc I
>> successfully compiled :
>> ->binutils 2.14 for arm-linux
>> $ arm-linux-ld -version
>> GNU ld version 2.14 20030612
>> -> glibc 2.3.3 headers in order to compile gcc for arm-linux
>> -> arm-linux-gcc 3.4.2
>> $ arm-linux-gcc -v
>> Reading specs from /gnutools/lib/gcc/arm-linux/3.4.2/specs
>> Configured with: /src/gcc-3.4.2/configure --target=arm-linux
>> --prefix=/gnutools
>> --disable-shared --with-header=/gnutools/arm-linux/include
>> --with-newlib --enabl
>> e-languages=c
>> Thread model: posix
>> gcc version 3.4.2
>>
>> However, I am now trying to compile glibc once more using the
>> cross-compiler arm-linux-gcc
>> and I get this error at the linker.
>

> Hmm.  I wonder if it might not be the case-insenstive nature of
> the filesystem.  Crosstool has a patch to help with that; it's at
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/patches/glibc-2.3.3/glibc-2.3.3-cygwin.patch

I tried the patch, with no success.  However, one question remains
regarding the modification done to the file
glibc-2.3.3/sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/sparcv9/Makefile
and its assembly flags to include .oST.
-ASFLAGS-.oS += -Wa,-Av9a
+ASFLAGS-.oST += -Wa,-Av9a

My question is that in the case of the an ARM target is there a file to
modify to include those assembly flags such as in file
/sysdeps/cris/Makefile on line 40
ASFLAGS-.os = -fpic

> Hey, can you try using crosstool to build your toolchain?

I am looking into this at the moment.  If I start with crosstool.sh, I
guess it is possible to keep the structure I've already built and just
build glibc?.... or should I instead start over from scratch using the
all.sh script?

thanks
J.O.