relocating the compiler and associated tools

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue Nov 9 17:13:00 GMT 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>But we're talking about building cross-compilers here -- the ultimate
>>>purpose is to move cross-compiled executables (and/or dynamic libs) to
>>>foreign machines of the target hw/os type. If you need to build -shared
>>>executables, you're really in trouble when you transport that executable
>>>to a foreign machine where your build & PREFIX paths are unknown. You
>>>_might_ get away with statically linked executables, if you can make the
>>>link phases work.
>>
>>No, no, that's not a problem at all; crosstool removes the absolute paths
>>from the shared library references.  No need to build static.
>

> so it depends on the proper setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then?

It depends on the default ld.so search path, and on
you to copy the .so*'s from /opt/crosstool/$TARGET/$TOOLCOMBO/$TARGET/lib to /lib on
the target system when you set it up.  Alternately,
it depends on /etc/ld.so.conf having that lib directory added.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be used sparingly.  I use it only when
I'm still testing something I don't want to expose the whole system to,
or in a wrapper shell script for a broken third-party binary.
- Dan