relocating the compiler and associated tools

Daniel Kegel dank@kegel.com
Mon Nov 8 21:34:00 GMT 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> sorry, i worded that badly after i looked back at it.  i want to
> relocate the results of the build *after* the build completes.  i'm
> happy to just let the build put the results where it wants, i just
> want the freedom to move the results later.  so i'm wondering if there
> is anything in the build results that is hardcoded to the results
> directory.

Yup.  Sadly, there is.   I have run into trouble doing what you're
suggesting, so I don't try any more.  This may have been with
an old gcc, but I have a bad feeling it was actually with
a recent one.

One thing you can do
which sometimes substitutes is to build in a chroot jail with
the final PREFIX.   That way you can at least avoid disturbing
the installed copy.  But that only works if you know the final
PREFIX in advance.

For gcc-3.3 and later, there probably aren't many bugs left
that would keep you from just moving the result.   If you're
building a recent version of gcc, you might want to just try
it and see what happens.   In the worst case, you could edit
the installed binaries with a search-and-replace script; I've
seen people do that.

Let us know how it goes.  Everybody would like this to work.
- Dan