Cross compler for ppc succeeds on Linux, fails on Cygwin

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue May 11 14:06:00 GMT 2004

Don Parsons wrote:
> OK, I just replaced cygwin1.dll with the May 7th one and ran. Rather
> than 1 hour 20 minutes on Linux (1.1GHz Athlon) it took 3 hours 25
> minutes under Cygwin on the same computer to complete the powerpc
> cross-compiler successfully with no problems at all.  So my problem was
> just a broken cygwin1.dll, i.e., the 1.5.9-1 version.

Yay!

BTW I think starting new programs is slow on Windows; a lot
of the extra time is in running all those little config script
tests.

I have not yet benchmarked cygwin as a distcc server, maybe
it wouldn't be as slow at that (less executing of new programs).
Or then again, maybe it'll take a MinGW port before Windows
can be a good distcc server, who knows.

> I glad Dan suggested the snapshot as I would not have thought of using
> it.

I had the bad luck to get 1.5.9-1 right when it came out.  Had
the darnedest time figuring out why I couldn't build glibc!
Finally tracked it down to a problem with cygwin1.dll.  Sure
wish they'd release a new version, it's getting old telling
people about the snapshot.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com