crossgcc: arm-elf + cygwin

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Sun Mar 21 23:04:00 GMT 2004

Tarmo Pikaro wrote:
> I want to build arm-elf gcc + glibc using windows 2000
> + cygwin. I've searched all over discussion lists and
> many people has reported some problems with it.
> I presonally didn't try it yet, because I think it
> will take a lot of time just to build everything (I
> have alreay compled once toochain for arm-elf).
>
> Now...  the question - did anyone suceeded in building
> arm-elf using cygwin ? Can you pinpoint me at
> successful story and instructions on how it can be
> done ? Or prebuild binaries would be even better.

Is your target really running glibc and Linux?
If so, you don't want arm-elf, you want arm-linux.

arm-elf is for bare metal targets without an operating
system.  arm-elf usually uses newlib rather than glibc.

harry.kaes@tijd.com told me this morning that he'd
managed to build mips-elf with newlib using a modified crosstool;
he will be posting his patches soon, I think.

My next release of crosstool will support cygwin.
(Note that cygwin-1.5.9-1 has a bug that keeps glibc
from building on at least some machines; cygwin-1.5.8-1
and earlier work fine.  The maintainer is now aware of
the problem, which was discussed on the cygwin mailing
list today)

>>You're better off building it from source, I think.
>>Why trust binaries compiled by some random hacker in
>>Italy or Russia?  Seems like a rather insecure thing
>>to do.
>>Better to only trust software from the original
>>source...
>

> It's all about the time. Building and error tracking
> takes a lot of time.

You said it.  I've put about eight months part time into
crosstool.  Hopefully this will save other people the trouble.
At least for the combinations of gcc+glibc I've tested, building
a toolchain with crosstool takes about five minutes of thought the first time through,
and about twenty seconds each time after that.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com