[Crosstool] Importance of kernel version?

Daniel Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu Jun 24 15:38:00 GMT 2004

Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:
> I just started wondered (I tend do that) how important is the choice of
> kernel in the demo-scripts when not building userspace?
> Should one choose a kernel version exactly like the one planning to use?
> E.g. the "-glibc-2.3.2.dat" file contains references to kernel 2.6.6 -
> however, I'm planning on using 2.4.20 on my target...

It matters in that the resulting toolchain generates executables
that understand the syscall ABI for the range of kernels from
2.4.3 (because of the --enable-kernel=2.4.3 in crosstool.sh on glibc configure)
to the version whose headers you use.

It may also matter in that the kernel page size and similar parameters
might be taken from the kernel headers and config file, but I
have not yet run into a problem from a mismatch there myself.