Success compiling linux-2.6.7 with crosstool-0.28-rc23 on Mac OS X 10.3.4

Martin Schaffner schaffner@gmx.li
Sat Jun 19 11:06:00 GMT 2004

After a lot of poking around, I was finally again able to compile
linux-2.6 on Mac OS X, as I was before I reinstalled everything after a
filesystem corruption.

It turns out the reason I wasn't, was that I was using HFS+ as the file
system for the source tree.
The problem is that linux-2.6.[1-7] can't be compiled on
case-insensitive file systems, because the build system wants to store
both vmlinux.lds.S and vmlinux.lds.s in the same directory. The latter
file is created from the former with the gcc preprocessor, which
produces an empty file on case-insensitive file systems. This lead to
the linker errors I reported here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-05/msg00196.html

I fixed this problem by changing the Makefiles to use *.asm instead of
*.s. Here is a patch for linux-2.6.7:
http://membres.lycos.fr/schaffner/prog/linux-2.6.7-case-
insensitive.patch

Further, I had to use the following patch to adapt the linux-2.6.7
sources to the Mac OS X environment:
http://membres.lycos.fr/schaffner/prog/linux-2.6.7-compile-osx.patch

Martin Schaffner