How to build a uclibc toolchain with crosstool (was: Question to you from a newbie)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Jun 18 16:30:00 GMT 2004

Dan Strohschein wrote:
> ...  I am currently trying to develop a small application that would
> run on a Linksys WRT54G router. This uses a mipsel CPU.
>
> I downloaded crosstools and compiled/built/installed it for the mipsel
> CPU. I would like to use uClibc for its size with this particular
> embedded system, but I canÂ’t for the life of me figure out HOW to build
> uClibc to work with the crosstools. If you could point me at a resource,
> or perhaps share wisdom of your own on how I could go about
> accomplishing this, I would be very appreciative

There's a patch in the contrib directory that adds uclibc support
to crosstool-0.28-rc5.  It was posted by Carl Miller on 20 April 2004.
Try
   wget kegel.com/crosstool-0.28-rc5.tar.gz
   wget http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc25/contrib/crosstool-uclibc-0.28-rc5.patch
   tar -xzvf crosstool-0.28-rc5.tar.gz
   cd crosstool-0.28-rc5
   patch -p1 < ../crosstool-uclibc-0.28-rc5.patch
   eval `cat gcc-3.3.3-uclibc-0.9.23.dat mipsel.dat` all.sh

I think Carl only tested it with arm, though, so who knows if that'll work...

My technical stuff: http://kegel.com