Difference between arm-softfloat and arm9tdmi? (was: Re: crosstool)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Sat Jun 12 13:59:00 GMT 2004

ANGELESCU Florin wrote:
> crosstool is great
> i am trying to build gcc for an arm9tdmi embedded device
> it helps
> still compiling, hope it works :)

:-)

> what s the difference between arm-softlib and arm9tdmi build ? which
> one  is faster ?

I'm no ARM expert, you'd better ask someone on an arm mailing list.

I suspect that TDMI stands for Thumb something or other,
and those are the chips that support the thumb bytecode instructions,
but that's just a guess.  Hang on, it's defined in
http://tisu.mit.jyu.fi/embedded/TIE345/luentokalvot/Embedded_3_ARM.pdf
The 't' does stand for Thumb.
So TDMI means you can save some RAM or ROM by using Thumb
instructions instead of regular assembly, I suppose.

softfloat is a way of speeding up normal floating point code by
using calls to floating point routines instead of the normal hardware
floating point instructions.  Not sure how that interacts with thumb,
it probably doesn't affect thumb (again, just a guess).

My technical stuff: http://kegel.com