crosstool-0.28-rc23 ARM soft-float results

Allen Curtis acurtis@onz.com
Fri Jun 11 15:09:00 GMT 2004

Here is a quick note regarding ARM crosstool testing with the
soft-float option.

How I tested it:
This probably wasn't the most scientific approach but it is practical.
1. Build u-boot 1.1.1 (omap1510inn_config)
2. Build 2.4.21 w/rmk and mvista OMAP patches
3. Build Linux-OMAP (2.6.7-rc2)

Build GCC 3.3.3/GLibc 2.3.2:
1. U-Boot built - no modifications
2. Linux 2.4 built - fixup arch/arm/Makefile FPU options
3. Linux 2.6 built - fixup arch/arm/Makefile FPU options

Build GCC 3.4.0/GLibc 2.3.2:
1. u-boot - not tested
2. 2.4.21 - not tested
3. Linux 2.6 built - fixup arch/arm/Makefile FPU and alignment options

Notes on GCC Differences and Makefile file modifications:
1. -msoft-float -Wa,-mno-fpu
    It is no longer allowed to have both these options specified. GCC
3.4.0 rejects -Wa,-mno-fpu as an invalid option. Note: With the
soft-float patch, neither option should be necessary but I have not
tested.

2. -mshort-load-bytes  CHANGED TO  -malignment-traps
    This is applicable to GCC 3.4.0. Refer to:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-11n/msg00649.html

I hope this information is useful. It would have saved me lots of
time...