crosstool sh3 builds with no fpu. booted linux and another test app.

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Jun 11 01:23:00 GMT 2004

Max Vilimpoc wrote:
> Just wanted to say thanks for putting together crosstool, it took all of
> the "fun" out of building a crosscompiler (which is to say, on a 366MHz
> PII, pure hell). I set it going on building an SH3 toolchain with
> gcc-3.3.2-glibc-2.3.2 and let it go while I slept. Next morning,
> everything worked great.

Yay!

> I built the toolchain with GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--without-fp". According
> to Renesas, here:
> http://www.eu.renesas.com/documents/mpumcu/pdf/sh7700p.pdf the SH-3E
> "supports single-precision floating point calculations as well as
> entirely PCAPI compatible emulation of double-precision floating point
> calculations. The SH-3E instructions are a subset of the floating point
> calculations conforming to the IEEE754 standard."  I think that pretty
> much means don't count on FPU support on the SH3, also since the
> standard SH3 core and the SH3-DSP core don't have an FPU. I wasn't too
> worried about FPU support since I'll probably never use it.

Good point.  Maybe I should add that to sh3.dat.

> I built a Linux 2.6.6 kernel using the Jornada defconfig and it boots on
> my SH3-DSP test board, although it stops booting when it tries to
> initialize a non-existent PS/2 controller. But that's no compiler fault.
> And I built a simple hello world test app that shipped with the test
> board, and that loaded and ran correctly as well. If I can get a minimal
> root, I'll try running the regression tests, but just wanted to let you
> know, per the notes in 'demo-sh3.sh', that sh3 works.

Excellent.  BTW I think I have fairly complete regression tests
for that toolchain on sh4, and they weren't too bad, so I bet
sh3 should be ok.  But you never know!
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com