gcc-3.3.2 for Netwinder

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Jul 28 16:36:00 GMT 2004

Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:
> I have done a lot more digging and have found out what is going on, at
> least to some degree.
>
> The netwinder is using "NWFPE", the kernel floating point emulator, to
> do the floating point stuff.
>
> When I cross-compile (on x86linux to arm) I can get the correct code
> generated if I specify -mhard-float.  But the trouble is, I don't seem
> to be able to get the glibc part of the toolchain to compile with this
> setting - I see this:
>
> /tmp/ccfcpvcD.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccfcpvcD.s:11: Error: selected processor does not support `rfs r3'
> /tmp/ccfcpvcD.s:20: Error: selected processor does not support `wfs r3'
>
> So my problem is really that the crosstool build does not seem to be
> able to build glibc with "hard float" so that the linked binary (built
> using the cross-compiler) is compatible with the NWFPE libc.so on the
> netwinder.

Did you try adding -mhard-float to TARGET_CFLAGS in arm.dat before
building crosstool?

Also, for completeness, can you tell us the exact version of
crosstool you're using, and the exact commands you use to
build crosstool and a tiny test app demonstrating the problem?

Maybe I should add demo-arm-hardfloat/arm-hardfloat.dat with the -mhard-float
setting to crosstool, so others will have an easier time of this?

My technical stuff: http://kegel.com