gcc-3.3.2 for ARM (Netwinder)

Daniel Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Jul 28 01:29:00 GMT 2004

Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:
> I am using crosstool to cross-compile gcc-3.3.2 for a Netwinder 2100
> (SA-110).  This is working *extremely* well, but floating point is all
> messed up.
>
> What are likely configuration settings for my situation?  The netwinder
> has some kind of "floating point emulation", so it seems like
> configuring for "soft float" would be the wrong thing to do (it doesn't
> work when configured that way, btw..)
>
> Please advise - we are SO CLOSE!!

Hi Craig,
Floating-point support for arm is in flux; a lot of people are
using soft-float support because it's noticably faster than
the hardware emulation you're talking about.  I know very
little about it, so I'm cc'ing the linux-arm-toolchain folks,
who might know more.

What are your performance requirements?  Do you need maximal
speed out of the floating point, or is half fast good enough?
Are you free to use a more recent gcc?
Do you need to interwork with software compiled by others?