make zimage fails after applying Martin Schafner "linux-2.6.7-bui ld_on_case_insensitive_fs-1.patch" patch

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue Jul 27 16:16:00 GMT 2004

Povolotsky, Alexander wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I installed Martin's patch (see below ) seems to be OK (after couple of
> attempts - as everything else - the use of "patch" command is new to me ;-)
> ).
>
> However make zimage fails after applying the patch (see further below) ...
>
> apovolot@USPITLAD104868 ~/linux-2.6.7
> $ patch -p1 < linux-2.6.7-build_on_case_insensitive_fs-1.patch
> patching file Makefile
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y

Hrm.  I guess Martin made his patch backwards :-)  That's ok, only slightly annoying.

> apovolot@USPITLAD104868 ~/linux-2.6.7
> $ make dep zImage
> *** Warning: make dep is unnecessary now.
>   CHK     include/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/asm-ppc/offsets.h
> cannot open arch/ppc/kernel/asm-offsets.asm: no such file ...
>
> May be I should manually create asm-offsets.asm file ? (by copying
> asm-offsets.s to asm-offsets.asm ?)

In general, the 2.6 kernel wants you to do
   make prepare
(or make ARCH=ppc prepare)
before building.  I think you forgot that.
- Dan

p.s. Please don't send me questions directly; send them to the crossgcc
mailing list.

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com