case-sensitive file names during build

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu Jul 22 16:07:00 GMT 2004

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2004, at 4:25 AM, Povolotsky, Alexander wrote:
>>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target
>>>  `net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ecn.o', needed by
>>> `net/ipv4/netfilter/built-in.o'.
>>> Stop.
>>
>> This is the (somewhat questionable) use of ipt_ECN.c and ipt_ecn.c in the
>> linux kernel. Windows filesystems are case insensitive, and see this
>> as one file.
>
> I had not seen the ECN/ecn problem, but you will also be bitten by .S ->
> .s preprocessing. That's right about the point that I gave up  ...

I maintain patches that allow building glibc on Cygwin and MacOSX.
The main patch deals with exactly this issue (S vs. s)
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc26/patches/glibc-2.3.2/glibc-2.3.2-cygwin.patch
I have to maintain it separately as the glibc maintainer dislikes the
idea of catering to Cygwin users (though maybe if I present it
as a MacOSX support patch he'd reconsider... naaah, probably not :-).

With the advent of linux-2.6, I also have a patch
to get kconfig to not use shared libraries (since I use kconfig
to help install the kernel headers, and shared libraries are tricky
to build on those two platforms).

It wouldn't be a big leap for me or someone else to also maintain
a patch to allow compiling the whole kernel on Cygwin or MacOSX.
If anyone puts it together, I'll carry it in crosstool.

My technical stuff: http://kegel.com