bad ld64.so

Daniel Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Jul 9 19:05:00 GMT 2004

Dan Kegel wrote:
>> I generated a cross-compiler for PPC970.
>>
>> - gcc3.4.1
>> - binutils 2.15
>> - glibc 2.3.2
>>
>> All went fine and I was able to cross-compile a Linux 2.6.7 Linux kernel
>> that was able to boot.
>>
>> However, it seems the generated ld64.so.1 is not that good. It crashes
>> immediately when you try to execute it.
>
> Painful, isn't it?
> Tools like strace or gdb could help.  You might need to add printf's to
> the code to see where it dies.

A couple other thoughts:
* find someone who's built a working glibc for that platform,
and compare their build procedure and patches with crosstool;
maybe crosstool is missing something

* try running the gcc and glibc regression tests (linked statically)
to make sure the compiler is generally ok.  This is a lot of work,
but is worth it if you can do it.