retrieving glibc sources by date

Dimitry Andric dimitry@andric.com
Fri Jul 9 17:32:00 GMT 2004

On 2004-07-09 at 17:45:02 Charlie Brady wrote:

>> > #!/bin/sh
>> > # Script to retrieve glibc source via CVS as of a certain date
>> > # Includes all addons (e.g., both linuxthreads and NPTL)
>> > # Usage: grab.sh YYYYMMDD
>> > # Creates glibc-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz
>> > mkdir -p temp.$$
>> > cd temp.$$
>> > cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/glibc co -D $1 -d glibc-$1 libc
>> > tar --exclude CVS -czf ../glibc-$1.tar.gz glibc-$1
>> > cd ..
>> > rm -rf temp.$$

> Depending how clustered the dates are which you might target, wouldn't it
> be handy to keep a cache of the cvs checkout between invocations?

Indeed, this would save some network traffic, although you could also
specify the -z9 option to compress.  At the server side it wouldn't
matter very much, since cvspserver still needs to locally check out a
complete copy of the requested version, before it can send it to you.
(This is the reason that cvs checkout can sometimes take ages to start
actually pumping data. :)

If this kind of stuff is needed extremely often, it might be better to
simply rsync or cvsup the whole repository itself.  I'm not sure if
sources.redhat.com allows this, though...