arm-mcount_internal.patch

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Thu Jul 8 16:41:00 GMT 2004

Kulkarni Mrunal-W40371 wrote:
>>I am getting segmentation fault error due to this particular patch
>>[arm-mcount_internal.patch] while
>>profiling. We are trying to understand it better as to why we need this
>>patch and what it does. It will be great help if you can tell something
>>about it. Do we need to add some gcc patch to go with it so that our
>>profiling will work.
>
> Anyways- I am using following things
> Gcc 3.3.2
> Glibc-2.3.2
> Glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.2
> Crosstool-0.27
>
> We want to profile something on ARM7TDMI.
> For that when you apply -pg option to arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-gcc,
> it was giving segmentation fault. So we found
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-06/txt00025.txt
 > [described in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-06/msg01581.html ]
> This file on web, and we are trying to apply that patch to the linux-elf.h file.
> But I don't know how to apply a patch. Because in
> /crosstool-0.27/patches/gcc-3.3.2 there is a .patches file which
> already apply patch to the linux-elf.h file.
> I copied the patch in that file, but I keep getting error, hunk#1 failed.
> So I don't know basically how to apply a patch. I would love to learn it.

OK, first things first.  When asking for help, it's best to
direct the question to a mailing list rather than directly
to the author.  crossgcc@sources.redhat.com is a good list for
this question; it's also the one the crosstool doc recommends.
When posting to a mailing list, please set your email client to
send plain text and to wrap outgoing mail at 80 columns
(or do it yourself); long lines and HTML mail may get your mail ignored.

Second, http://kegel.com/academy/opensource.html has an introduction
to patches which may help.

Third, all the patches in crosstool are diffs from the parent
directory of gcc-x.y, so you'll need to edit that patch
to insert gcc-foo/ in front of the paths before it can be accepted.

Fourth, you might want to check whether that patch is already in
a newer version of gcc, say, gcc-3.3.3 or gcc-3.3.4; it might be
easier to just update than to patch.

Fifth, you should probably use crosstool-0.28-rc28 rather than crosstool-0.27.

Good luck, and please address future questions to the mailing list
rather than to me directly.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com